The Ministry of Education, in consultation with relevant health authorities and education stakeholders has made some slight adjustments in the Academic 2020/2021 calendar to be responsive to the challenges the country faces in these difficult times in our education sojourn.
According to the Education Ministry the adjustments are to curtail and combat the spread of the new wave of the deadly Corona virus in the country.
The slight adjustments made are in the following categories:
- Category 1- Early Childhood Education: This includes Nursery, ABC, K-1, and K-2. These classes whose curricula have already been exhausted will do their assessment exams and close on or before July 10, 2021.
- Category 2 – Basic Education: This includes grades 1- 9. Students in this category have already completed the 4th marking period. Therefore, the 5th and 6th periods should be condensed with the key and critical contents that are appropriate and necessary for the absorption of fair assessment and achievement.
- During the course of this period, the following exams will be administered:
- Grade 3 assessment test : July 12, 2021.
- Liberia Primary School Certificate Examination (LPSCE) for Grade 6: July 13 & 14, 2021.
- Liberia Junior High School Certificate Examination (LJHSCE) Grade 9: July 15 & 16,2021.
- All Lower and Upper Basic (grades 1- 9) school final exams must be administered from Wednesday, August 4 to Tuesday, August 10, 2021..
- Senior Secondary School (10th & 11th grades): final exams must be administered commencing Monday, September 27 to Thursday, September 30,2021.
- Senior Secondary School (12th grade) final examinations must be administered beginning Wednesday, September 1 to Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
- All Senior Secondary Schools (grades 10-12) are to remain in school until September 30, 2021.
The Ministry also noted that the decision on the reopening of school will be made depending on the prevailing situation and advice from the Ministry of Health and the National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL).
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education has disclosed with all school administrators, proprietors/ proprietresses, Principals Association, National Teachers Association of Liberia (NTAL), Private School Secretariats and all education stakeholders as well as the public that the changes in the 2020/2021 academic calendar is intended to help national government combat and curtail the further spread of the deadly Corona virus which poses serious threats to our health and national security.
The Ministry urged school authorities to be in full compliance with the new schedule and absorb the required lessons within the National Curriculum where necessary and appropriate for the growth and sustainability of our human capacity.
The Ministry has also reiterated to all school administrators to suspend all social activities (field trips, football games, gala day program, parades, Queen and King Contests) as well as all graduation exercises until further notice from the Ministry of Health and NPHIL.
The Ministry called on school authorities to be in compliance with the fight against COVID-19, which must be taken seriously by all Liberians by observing the preventive measures prescribed by the Ministry of Health for a safe and healthy environment for all.